Research has identified six kinds of social media which are Social Networks, Blogs/Micro Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts/RSS, Forums, and Content Communities. I guess none of these needs to be explained any further as most of us have experienced at least one of them.
So what is with the buzz around this “social media”? Why has it gained so much of importance lately? In all honesty, one of the great things about Social Media is that no one really knows what the next big thing is. It truly is like trying to capture lightning in a bottle. New innovations are being added on a regular basis which makes it a constantly evolving entity. As most of us are an active part of Social media, we understand its importance and explaining the importance of the social media would just make this post redundant.
In an effort to determine the effect of the hype around "social media", I decided to flesh out its advantages and disadvantages based on my experience:
- Common platform for people with different interest to share and connect
- Content is mostly user generated
- A means embrace your passion and identity
- A platform for organizations to connect directly with consumers
- Establish relationships and connections
- Content overload and problems in filtering out the right content
- Authenticity of the content (Like this one, how do you believe me?)
- Information and networking overload (Too much of networking is also not good at times)
- Consistent content delivery is a problem
- Addiction to social media